VOLUNTEER! GET INVOLVED!
Volunteers are Habitat’s most valuable resource! Work alongside our staff, Habitat partner homeowners, and other volunteers and see all our lives transformed. This transformation and energy sustains our passion. And that’s necessary to move our mission forward.
WE WELCOME LOCAL AND VISITING VOLUNTEER GROUPS
If you would like to plan a group volunteer day or have any questions, please contact: Habitat’s Key West office at 305-294-9006 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ONLINE SAFETY TRAINING
Visit our online safety training center HERE
TYPES OF VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- Maybe you have a knack for organization? Or, you love bringing people together to celebrate? Donate your time for planned fundraisers and special events that directly support the work of Habitat of Key West and Lower Florida Keys.
Much of our volunteer construction work is repairing a home of an income-qualified elderly homeowner. Sometimes it is making repairs or updates to a Habitat home that is being re-sold to a new Habitat Partner Homeowner. You can expect anything from scraping, patching and painting a house to landscaping.
Whether you are skilled or not Habitat welcomes you!
Have a construction skill? We are always on the look-out for skilled volunteers interested in lending a hand. Habitat can put those talents to good use. Construction Site Supervisor would love to hear from you!
Basic information for volunteering on a construction-site:
- Volunteers must complete a Volunteer Application/Release of Liability prior to working. It is preferable to bring the completed form with you (link below) however, forms are available on site.
- Our construction schedule is always changing, but generally we work Monday through Friday and some Saturdays.
- A full workday is 8:30 am – 3:30 pm-ish; with a lunch break from 11:30 am –12:00.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old to work on our construction sites; youth 16-17 must have their parent/guardian sign a Minor Volunteer Application/Release of Liability form before arrival.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years old to use power tools or climb ladders.
What to wear/bring:
- Closed toe, sturdy footwear is required – no sandals.
- We provide safety equipment as needed: work gloves, safety glasses, dust masks, as needed.
- Wear appropriate clothing – that means clothes you really don’t care about.
- You may wish to bring work gloves (especially women’s sizes), sunscreen and bug spray.
- We always have water and a cooler for your use on the site.
- Habitat is committed to the safety of our volunteers. Job specific training for volunteers is provided on-site by a Site Representative.
- Before your work day we request that each volunteer take the Habitat for Humanity Volunteer Training Safety Course offered on line HERE
Faith Relations cultivates relationships engaging all local faith communities in Habitat’s ministry. It reaches out to share Habitat’s mission, invites them to partner and nurtures ongoing relationships.
Habitat Home Buyer Selection & Support is responsible for selecting qualified homebuyers for the Habitat program. It conducts outreach and orientation for applicants, reviews applications, and helps make the recommendation to the Board of Directors for final approval. The committee further ensures that partner homebuyers understand and meet their partnership responsibilities throughout the process of becoming a Habitat Homeowner.
Resource Development ensures the affiliate has the resources to support its work and attain its goals. It reaches out to donors, nurtures donor relationships and engages the full Board of Directors in the development process.
CONTACT US FOR FORMS TO GET YOU STARTED VOLUNTEERING WITH HABITAT
PHONE 305.294.9006 or email
For Volunteer Opportunity updates with us, join our newsletter